Abstract

On December 4, 1926, more than 1,000 guests from all over the world attended the official opening of the Bauhaus in Dessau. Among the most remarkable features of this new building were the expansive glass walls, which soon became synonymous with modern architecture. Many German newspapers reported on the school's move from Weimar to Dessau and the opening of its modernist new building.

Newspaper Report on the Bauhaus School Opening in Dessau (December 7, 1926)

  • Unknown

Source

Inauguration of the new Bauhaus in Dessau.

On Saturday, the new Bauhaus, the “College of Design," was inaugurated in Dessau. The new Bauhaus, which continues to be under the direction of Professor Gropius, is built according to the most modern aspects of architecture. The studio building is 18 meters wide, 12 meters deep, 19 1/2 meters high. The entire building is made of reinforced concrete, and only the connecting walls are brick. The ceiling joists are also made of stone iron. All windows are made of crystal mirror glass, and most of the roofs are flat and walkable. The Bauhaus has its own weaving mill, laboratories, exhibition rooms and a theater hall. Professor Walter Gropius himself was in charge of construction during its entire period and also designed the building. The total area covers around 2500 square meters. Representatives of the Prussian government, as well as well-known artists such as Kandinsky, Paul Klee and others, attended the opening ceremony. - Our picture shows the ceremony in front of the new Bauhaus in Dessau, decorated with flags; in the middle the bridge that connects the two parts of the new Bauhaus can be seen.

Source: Solinger Tageblatt, December 7, 1926, p. 5. Deutsches Zeitungsportal,
https://www.deutsche-digitale-bibliothek.de/newspaper/item/HPD662LR4XGRGLPPFF36PTNNQHCVP5P4?issuepage=5