Abstract

Until the end of the nineteenth century, the privilege of attending a Gymnasium (a college-preparatory secondary school) was reserved solely for boys. The only institutions that offered girls an opportunity for higher education were the so-called Höhere Töchterschulen (Schools for the Higher Education of Daughters). These schools, however, did not prepare girls for further academic study, but rather for the task of managing a household. Accordingly, the course of study ended when the girls were 15 or 16 years old. Until the first girls’ Gymnasien opened in the 1890s, well-to-do parents who wanted to give their daughters an academic higher education sent them to private girls’ schools or boarding schools. Lithograph, c. 1860.

A School for the Higher Education of Daughters (c. 1860)

Source

Source: bpk-Bildagentur, image number 20003671. For rights inquiries, please contact Art Resource at requests@artres.com (North America) or bpk-Bildagentur at kontakt@bpk-bildagentur.de (for all other countries)

© bpk

A School for the Higher Education of Daughters (c. 1860), published in: German History in Documents and Images, <https://germanhistorydocs.org/en/from-vormaerz-to-prussian-dominance-1815-1866/ghdi:image-2349> [February 02, 2023].